Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tam's Favorite Game

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA OCARINA OF TIME!!



This game is a master piece. I can say there are few games that have defined me as a
person as much as this game has. It has action, adventure, thought provoking game play and
most important of all teaches you the difference between right and wrong. When I was a kid
growing up and playing video games everything i had been exposed to was very linear and
obvious what to do. Go right and win the game...and after that… go right again. Yes the plot
was important but the game felt more about “making the next jump” not actually rescuing the
princess from a Giant Turtle. Now i'm not saying these games are bad, in fact I still jump on
Super Mario World about once every month and do these crazy platforming speed runs as best
as I can. but Ocarina of Time was the first game that made me really feel like I was apart of the
world and the actions I had affected the world around me. Which BLEW MY MIND!!! Feeling
responsibility for the people of Hyrule was extremely important in developing my character
growing up. Figuring out and seeing the difference between right and wrong and how it affected
everyone was eye opening to say the least.

Onto the game! like i said before Ocarina of Time is a great game for so many reasons
that I couldn't possibly list them all here but i will list the one that I feel is most important.
Ocarina of Time tells the story of an orphan boy who is an outcast from his friends.He set onto a
full blown adventure by Princess Zelda to help her defeat an evil stranger bent on controlling the
land and her kingdom, Hyrule. Everyone has had hardships and have felt like an outcast before
and despite how you have felt you have needed to make the right decision. I know our lives
and choices don't affect the salvation of a kingdom but everyday we make tough choices not
because we want to but because we NEED to just as much as Link does on this one quest.
I took a break from the LOZ for a very, very long time. during middle school I jumped on
the Halo bandwagon for the exact same reason I have listed above. I needed to feel the
responsibility of saving the land and in this case the whole galaxy. but with the announcement
of a new Zelda title called “Twilight princess” Nintendo bit me with the LOZ bug once more and I
donned my green hat and tunic once again to bring peace to the land. the reason I bring this up
is because i can not talk about OOT without Twilight princess as well. Twilight Princess did
everything OOT did but better! the action was more intense the adventure grander the puzzles
devastating and the story made you feel like its not just your life on the line but the life of all of
the people you have met on your journey. It reminded me of all the adventures and feelings i
had as a child but more so.

To wrap this all up the legend of zelda series has had some amazing titles as well as
some titles that have been less than sub par but every 3D Zelda game I have ever played has
pushed my emotions to the brink not because of killing monsters and solving puzzles but the
relationship my actions feel to have on the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment